What are the Symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome?
The most common symptoms of Dry Eye Syndrome include:
- Watery eyes
Advanced dry eyes may damage the front surface of the eye and impair your vision. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, we have effective treatment solutions for OSD.
What are the Risk Factors?
Dry eyes can develop for many reasons, including:
- Age (a majority of people over age 65 experience symptoms of dry eyes)
- Gender (women are more likely to develop dry eyes due to hormonal changes caused by pregnancy, the use of contraceptives, and menopause)
- Medications (i.e., antihistamines, decongestants, blood pressure medications, and antidepressants can reduce tear production)
- Medical conditions (i.e., rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and thyroid problems are more likely to have symptoms of dry eyes)
- Environmental conditions (i.e., exposure to smoke, wind, and dry climates can increase tear evaporation and failure to blink regularly can also contribute to drying of the eyes)
- Long-term use of contact lenses
- Refractive eye surgeries, such as LASIK, can decrease tear production
How is Dry Eye Treated?
We start with a full eye examination and carefully examine the ocular surface with specific diagnostic equipment to determine which areas of the tear film are in distress. Our team will then formulate an initial treatment plan which may include:
- Lid margin hygiene to encourage better oil gland production: OCuSOFT Original, OCuSOFT Hypochlorous spray, Zocushield gel
- Discussion of supplements that may be beneficial
- Possible prescription eye drop medication
- TempSure Envi procedures to revitalize the oil glands along the lid margins
- Intense Pulse Light Therapy to reduce redness and vessel inflammation around the eyes and Demodex eradication
- Amniotic membrane technology
- Autologous serum eye drops
- Or a combination of some of these strategies
What is TempSure Envi?
TempSure Envi is a radiofrequency (RF) treatment that safely and effectively treats baggy and dry eyes for a smoother, healthier-looking appearance. Meibomian Gland Disease (MBD) is the leading cause of dry eye and ocular discomfort, and it is now treatable with radiofrequency!
Eyes on Chelsea provides treatments to help look and feel their absolute best!
How does TempSure Envi’s radiofrequency work?
By delivering a radiofrequency to heat your skin gently, TempSure Envi increases your skin’s temperature for a defined amount of time. This heat triggers the body’s natural reaction to produce new collagen. These new collagen fibers are tighter and denser. As a result, excess skin in the lower or upper eyelid is reduced.
If you are suffering from Dry Eye Syndrome, TempSure Envi stimulates clogged tear glands and revives an optimal surface for the eye. After your treatment at Eyes on Chelsea, we will provide recommendations and supplements for patients to improve the quality of their tears.
What can I expect during my appointment?
When you come in for your consultation our team will discuss your goals and create a custom treatment plan for you. During your treatment, you will experience a gentle warming sensation around the target area(s).
After the treatment, there is usually only a slight amount of redness on the skin, which quickly subsides. Immediately following your treatment, you will be able to return to your daily activities. That’s right; there is zero downtime!
Am I a candidate?
TempSure Envi works on all skin types, and everyone is a candidate. Treatments are primarily recommended to patients who experience skin laxity (looseness) around the eyes, baggy eyes, and dry eyes. We love this radiofrequency system because it can treat the smaller, more delicate areas on the face.
Does the procedure hurt?
TempSure Envi has been carefully designed with comfort in mind. Radiofrequency provides a pleasant and effective treatment every time. Most of our patients describe the treatment as comfortable.
How long are the treatments?
Treatments last about 30-60 minutes, depending on the area being treated. There is no downtime, allowing you to return to your normal activities immediately.
How many treatments are needed?
We usually recommend that you schedule a series of treatments and regular maintenance appointments to help your body counteract the loss of collagen that is part of the natural aging process.
When will I see results?
Instantly! You will walk away from your appointment with a natural glow, and what many patients describe as a “tighter” feeling. Best of all, your results will continue to enhance over time.